As our white hair starts to come in white faster and faster, we are plagued with hiding it between touch ups. New Growth concealers have been around forever, but the product technology has gotten very good over the last few years. Root touch-up products are now available in a number of applications options, but we have our favorite; “Color WOW”. This professional powder compound was formulated to adhere to hair without being sticky or oily and without looking dry. Color Wow's Root Cover Up camouflages your roots for perfect color every day. As an added bonus, get a blond tone and apply temporary highlights for that extra pop of brightness. Pick one up next time you come by Hair Base.
TWO WEEK MANICURE
Ever try to get your keys out of your bag or pocket without nicking one or more of your freshly polished nails? Try inserting the key into the ignition of your car, inserting the seat belt into the buckle, driving without brushing up against the steering wheel and messing up your nails. If you manage all these challenges, there is always dish washing, cleaning etc…shorting the life of your freshly manicured nails one activity at a time.
Strong, beautiful, all-one-length natural nails can be difficult to grow and maintain. Because we use our hands for so many things every day – working on the computer, crafting, digging in your purse – nails often suffer.
The No Chip Manicure acts as an invisible layer of protection for your nails, keeping them strong so that they can grow without breaking. The no chip manicure is thinly applied, is virtually weightless, and dries instantly (my favorite part). No more smudges. It wears flawlessly for up to 14 days, and gives your nails incredible shine during the entire wearing.
What is the no chip manicure?
It is a salon applied treatment that is a hybrid between nail color and gel nails. Also called Gel Polish and Soak-Off Gels, this polymer technology has been an amazing technology shift in the nail industry.
The diagram shows the levels of strength and durability of each of the nail enhancements available today. The no chip manicure is applied just like a regular manicure: base coat, 2 coats of color and top coat, curing them between with a UV light.
When the two weeks are up they are simply removed. No fills or filing necessary. Gentler on nails then acrylic and gel nail enhancements.
Advantages and drawbacks of the No Chip, compared with basic manicures.
1. Dries quickly and thoroughly. Forget quick dries. This is light years ahead of that. You can’t smudge it, dent it or ruin it. This is because after each coat is applied, a UV light cures the product to totally dry. Application takes about 30 minutes start to finish.100% dry. Amazing and true!
2. It lasts two weeks. The longer your nails are the longer it can last. However you will start to see the outgrowth near the nail plate . You could probably leave it on a bit more time, but the manicure will start to look shabby and you will want to pick at it.
3. It still gleams on Day 14. Shine, shine, shine all through the life of the manicure. Add a conditioning agent to your cuticle and nail plate and the nails seem well manicured throughout the entire 14 days.
1. Removal is done at a salon. The technician applies wraps over each fingertip to concentrate 99 percent acetone on the nail for 10 minutes. Then the technician scrapes away excess product. Trying and remove it yourself with nail varnish remover and you will only end up peeling your own nail off along with the polish. Peeling the gel off will only damage the nails. If you're desperate and can't get to the salon, buy pure acetone. But DIY (do it yourself) removal is not recommended!
2. Daily conditioning is recommended. After removal, nails can be temporarily weaker and flaking at the tips. Acetone is drying and if you don’t apply the daily conditioning agent every day, the nails can become dry. Even so, nails recoup pretty fast. Within a few weeks, they can be back to normal.
3. It costs more than a traditional manicure. Standard manicures cost around $16. Typically the no chip manicure cost averages around $35 - $40. Still it is cheaper, faster and gentler on nails than acrylics and gel enhancements
We carry INOA, (pronounced in-oh-uh) and stands for "Innovation, NO Ammonia, Is a very popular hair color from L’Oreal Professional.
INOA provides: comfort (no painful scalp burn) 100% coverage of white, rapid self-emulsifying mixing, respect for hair fiber - leaves hair as smooth as before the color was applied for a soft touch.
Graciela Santiler Nowik
When not cutting or fashioning hair, I'm reading and studying about the latest techniques!